SHELFORD VILLAGE INFORMATION SHEET
December Edition (to be published bi-monthly)
We would both like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Bev and Karen
Bev Bingham (Tel: 933 4212, E-mail: email@example.com) and Karen Cheetham (Tel: 933 2231,
VILLAGE CHRISTMAS FAYRE
Sunday 17 December 2017, 10am to 12 noon. If anyone would like to donate a raffle prize, cakes, tombola items, please contact Karen on the number/e-mail above. See separate flyer. PLEASE DO COME TO THIS VILLAGE SOCIAL EVENT.
ROYAL BRITISH LEGION POPPY APPEAL
Thank you to all who contributed to the Poppy Appeal. This year the amount of £224.69 was raised from donations around the village. Also thank you to the collectors, Eileen Smith, Beverley Bingham and Karen Cheetham.
THE SHELFORD CHILDREN'S CHRISTMAS PARTY 2017
This year's Children's Christmas Party is to be held on Sunday 10th December 2-4pm at Shelford Village Hall. If your children would like to come and you have not yet contacted Deb (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Helen (07786522640), please do so as soon as possible so we can add you to the list. We have lots of children coming this year and we hope to make it a really fun event with help from all the families attending.
There are no plans this year to carol sing in the village to raise money to help support this event, however there is a small collection pot in the pub if anyone would like to contribute.
We look forward to seeing some familiar and new faces at the party!
Deb & Helen
CHURCH OPEN DAYS
Did you know that the Church has been open on nearly every Wednesday from May to September? Many visitors have also been taken up the church tower on these open days. Very many thanks go to Eileen Smith and John Fisher for doing this.
CRIME PREVENTION ADVICE
Please see the attached sheet from Nottinghamshire Police regarding prevention of theft during the Christmas period. Further information regarding Police matters can be found on the village website at shelfordnotts.org under "News & Events".
EXERIENCED LOCAL BABYSITTER
Available: 15th Dec 2017 - 5th Jan 2018 (Also available New Year’s Eve for an increased fee)
Amelia Hodder – Age 20
Mobile: 07943 559 638 : Email: email@example.com
· Evening and daytimes available
· Experienced with children of all ages and children with learning difficulties
· Able to drive to surrounding area
VILLAGE EVENTS MEETING
A further meeting is to be held on Thursday 25 January 2018 at the Earl of Chesterfield at 7.00 pm regarding organisation of the forthcoming Street Market and Feast weekend activities. Any support would be welcome from villagers old and new.
CPR TRAINING SESSION - Please see Chairman's Matters in the Parish Council minutes overleaf.
December January 2018
3rd 10.30 am Holy Communion 7th 10.30 am Holy Communion
19th 7.00 pm Carol Service 21st 6.30 pm Compline
24th 5.00 pm Christingle Service 28th 6.30 pm Evensong
11.30 pm Midnight Holy Communion 31st 4.00 pm Messy Church (in the Village Hall)
PRECIS OF PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES held on Thursday 30 November
in the Village Hall
· A compliment was made by a resident in respect of the council website and the display of the poppies during the recent Remembrance period.
· The question of proposed work to refurbish the village war memorial was discussed with a resident making various suggestions as to what is needed, including the replacement of the existing railings around the site and the provision of a boarded surround at the base of the railings to stop the escape of the gravel surround to the memorial.
· There was also discussion on the planned events to mark the centenary of the ending of WW1 on 11 November 2018.
· A decrease in fly tipping on Stoke Ferry Lane was commented upon.
· Radcliffe on Trent parish council wrote in regard to their Neighbourhood Plan, saying it had been approved and was now operating.
· Notts County Council advised of their Great War Commemoration Fund in which grants of up to £300 could be available.
· The new Local Minerals Plan by Notts County Council, is out for consultation for an 8-week period.
· Robert Jenrick Newark MP was campaigning for easier action to deal with illegal traveller encampments.
· John Buckley, Chief Fire Officer Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue, was consulting on a suggestion that 3-men engines could turn out for small fires instead of four staff, as at present. The Council felt it should support the move.
· Trees had been cut back satisfactorily.
· Coun. Squires gave an update on village hall news and said there was a need to replace the radiator valves and he was in the process of obtaining quotes.
· He also said there were signs of splintering on the hall floor and remedial re-sealing action could be needed in the near future.
· Lighting in the Lock up had been replaced.
· It was agreed to investigate the need for refurbishment of the seats on Shelford Hill and Top Road. Coun. Bev Bingham was happy to deal with the matter.
· Coun. Squires handed re-printed copies of the Shelford and Newton History Trail to members and gave thanks to Coun. Mrs Kay Cutts for getting them printed. The question of insurance for the damaged information boards was discussed. The clerk was asked to obtain details of those who damaged them from Coun. Miller and make the necessary contact.
· There was discussion on continuing depositing of litter etc at the Picnic area on Stoke Ferry Lane.
· It was agreed to put a notice from the Police in regard to a warning for everyone to be on guard against seasonal crime incidents on the website.
· Plans are being made for a CPR training session to be organised in mid-January. Details will be posted on notice boards and the website.
NEXT MEETING - To be held on Wednesday 24 January 2018 at 6.30 pm. Open to all residents.
Full minutes are available on the website shelfordnotts.org, as is information on many other village items.
Send your news articles in today to appear on the Shelford website. All articles emailed to webmaster or hard copy posted to Granby House, Church Street, Shelford.
Shelford Village Hall
Parish Council Enquiries
Street Market 2018 Enquiries
If you have any queries about the village hall or booking enquiries, please contact us:
0115 8749274 or 07936 167656